Looking to organize and de-clutter your home or workplace and want to do so with environmentally-sensitive materials? Well, if you’re handy, or can hire a carpenter, one option is to build your own storage solutions from wheatboard, sunflower board, kirei board, formaldehyde-free MDF, reclaimed wood, or FSC-certified wood.
For a variety of pre-built storage options, check out these sources:
- Green Forest Furniture — an online retailer of school, office, and residential laminated furniture that is made in the USA. All pieces are urea formaldehyde-free, made from recycled wood using dowel construction techniques, and packaged in recycled cardboard.
- Tedspace makes modular, stackable storage pieces to form a bookcase, media storage, closet organizer (like the one pictured here), room divider, and more, made from sustainable woods and FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified wood veneers finished with low-VOC (volatile organic compounds) stains. All made in the USA.
- The Green Home Environmental Store offers under-the-bed storage drawers made with sustainably harvested wood from Oregon and Washington, hand-rubbed with a finish of tung oil and pure beeswax. It’s free of toxic glues, formaldehyde, particle board, and can be configured to fit under twin, full, queen, or king size beds.
- Even Target offers some eco-friendly storage options such as its Linear Bookcase & Storage Unit Collection which is made in the USA, from formaldehyde-free birch plywood with 100% nontoxic, water-based stains.
- BuyOnlineNow is a retailer of all sorts of office storage supplies made with a large percentage of post-consumer recycled materials.
- The Container Store now has numerous eco-friendly storage and organization solutions.